Thursday, August 4, 2011

We Have Exchange Students!

The Taylor family has taken on a new challenge. As indicated by the title of this post, we have indeed acquired two Chinese students who will be living with us for two weeks while they learn some English, go on field trips, and eat my cooking. More on that later.































LiNa and Alice (not her real name, but the name of her choosing), ages 14 and 12 respectively, arrived late Monday night and after a night at a hotel and an afternoon of frolicking in Olympia, we met them at a potluck at the church. They are polite and completely adorable. They don't eat much, however. I wonder if they will starve while here.








The first night when we came home, and after getting the grand tour of the house by my equally adorable children, we played some frisbee and badminton in the yard. Later, we introduced them to the game of Uno. That was fun trying to explain it. Sometimes it's easier to demonstrate a round first.







Last night we took them to the County Fair, where, at the insistence of my husband, viewed my quilt that is displayed and ribboned (with a blue ribbon!).







After that we took them to do all the fun rides.




Tonight we are laying low; I imagine they are still catching up from the travelling and full schedule to date. The kids taught them Hide And Seek. I think David is planning a before-bed trip to DQ for some ice cream. Tomorrow is a field trip to Seattle. We will join them and I hope to get lots of pictures.



Back to the food. (Mostly because I'm noticing this post getting quite boring, so I will move on.) So far I have made breakfast of scrambled eggs, fried spam, and pancakes (meh), Stir Fry Vegetables with Rice (a winner), breakfast of Rice, scrambled eggs with green onion (I think they liked it) and grapes (Alice was peeling the grapes, as I remember doing in Japan. However over there the skin of the grapes is thicker and comes off easily. Alice didn't have much luck peeling them this morning). I packed them a lunch of Japanese-style Rice Balls (they told me was delicious), oreos and more grapes. Tonight we had Lasagna. I notice Alice to be a little more on the picky side, but LiNa, not wanting to disappoint, will try most things. Cottage cheese was new to her! Now that I think about it, I should have my camera more at the ready for foodie pics.




1 comment:

  1. Fried spam! It's like your my ma or summat!

    PS - A move to food chat is always a winner. Well played.

    ReplyDelete