Monday, August 15, 2011

The Non-Pioneer way to Make French Toast



My Chinese Exchange Students, LiNa and Yi Jia are gone and now I have time to reflect on some of the things we have done, lessons learned, and meals I have made. While they were here, I made a hot breakfast almost every day. A lot of the days it was rice and eggs, but some days I made pancakes, sausage, and french toast.


While making the french toast, I remembered a blog I read by the Pioneer Woman. While clearly entertaining and a feast for the eyes, the things she does for the sake of "pioneering" seem way over the top for me. It may just be me though. So I decided to give you the lowdown on how I make french toast, which happened to be the same way my mom made french toast. With the exception of using a square bowl, that is. So you might say this is how my ancestor made french toast.





First, I start out with some Safeway fresh eggs. I usually buy the 18 pack, but you can pick up a pack of dozen if you prefer. Sometimes my hubs will do the shopping and purchase the brown eggs, or even sometimes the more expensive organic. My mom did not buy organic at the time because it was not available at the commissary, as far as I know.


I add a little milk to the eggs and whisk them up. My family prefers 2%. My mom always bought 2% so it's legit.



Here is where I add a little of me to the process. You see, I hate waste. Therefore, after I beat the eggs with the milk, I pour it into a square container. That way, when I dip the bread in the mixture I can get all the corners with all the egg mixture that is possible.


After dipping the bread into the mixture I place it on the preheated electric griddle. I love my griddle. If you don't have one for pancakes and french toast, I highly suggest you get one. I turn the heat all the way as high as it goes then bring it back a little bit. Don't want to burn the food.

All the bread gets laid out.



And one side starts to cook. When that side is done, I flip them over.






Mmmmm... looks like breakfast. So there is how I cook the french toast. I did it the way my mom did.



Wanna know how we ate it growing up? It might be an East-Coastie thing, but we would put butter on it, then sprinkle sugar on top. Not powdered sugar. No. It is the crunchy white sugar. It gets all mixed with the butter and is super yummy.

My kids like to drizzle it with syrup. Actually drown it is more like it. A friend once put peanut butter then syrup, which I have found to be quite tasty.


Try it; you'll like it.

1 comment:

  1. I grew up eating sugar and butter on plain toast. =) I still do it that way. I'll have to try it on French Toast. I honestly don't think I've made French Toast for the kids.

    ReplyDelete